Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful. --William Morris

Monday, November 3, 2014

How Many Shirts Do I Really Need?

This weekend, I decided to follow Marie Kondo's advice about discarding items (from the book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying):
Hold each item in your hand and ask yourself if it sparks joy.
Okay, so it sounds a little ridiculous, but I found it very easy to cull all of these tops from my shirt drawer by simply asking that question:
Prior to this, whenever I tried to purge, I'd be focused more on the practical aspects of various items that I don't particularly like to wear. No, I don't like it, but it could be useful blah blah blah.

This was simple. I kept shirts that I wear regularly and ones that make me feel good. I ditched anything ill-fitting, stained, not my color, or otherwise non-joy-sparking. I was left with my drawer looking like this:
I folded these shirts using the KonMari method
At first, I was nervous about filling two bags with clothes. What if I didn't have enough left over at the end?

But then, once I had everything neatly folded as above, I wondered how all of these shirts could possibly NOT be enough for me--particularly considering the fact that these are the only shirts I actually wear. How many tops does one woman (who works from home!) really need?

No comments:

Post a Comment