Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful. --William Morris

Monday, November 10, 2014

Days 21 Through 24

Just because I am not posting daily doesn't mean I'm not purging daily. Here's what you missed over the past couple of decluttering days:
This is a set of dividers that came with a desk organizer I bought two trips to The Container Store ago. I have never even freed them from their plastic, as the organizer as is works just fine for my purposes. I threw them in the trash.

***

This is a container for chopsticks that came with a Zojirushi Lunch Jar (which I might also get rid of as we rarely use it.) The chopsticks have long since disappeared, making the teeny-tiny container superfluous.

I'm such a weirdo I'm still giving this to Goodwill, in the hopes that someone out there has a very small item that needs a very small home.

***

The shirt on the right has a yellow stain that will not come out. In the past, I would normally save the shirt--thinking I could wear it under other things or use it for workouts/painting/etc. No more. White shirts are a dime a dozen, even taking the importance of fit into account, and I want to protect this beautiful sight:
I also have released myself from the guilt (somewhat) of simply throwing the shirt into the trash. We have more than enough rags, the yellow stain precludes the shirt from truly being useful to someone else, and I know that I'm never going to quilt with the fabric. It's okay to use it up/wear it out--which includes discarding a shirt that is no longer wearable because of a stain. (That's what I keep telling my inner treehugger, anyway. If you've got any better guilt-reducing suggestions for dealing with hopelessly stained clothing, I'm all ears.)

***

The 2T jeans on the left are a similar story. LO, at age 4, is finally outgrowing his 2T clothes. (He's a little small for his age). The timing is fortuitous, because BB, at nearly 14 months, is just growing into 2T, if we cuff the pant legs/shirt sleeves. This pair of jeans, however, have a worn out knee. I thought about donating them to Goodwill, but J pointed out that the pants are well and truly worn out (the cuffs are also a little ratty), and it's okay to throw them out. So I did.

It's less than a month into the project, and I'm finding it's getting more difficult to identify unnecessary items.

This might end up being a long-ass year.

No comments:

Post a Comment